What is an LTO Student Permit?
An LTO student permit is a document issued by the Land Transportation Office (LTO) to first-time drivers. It allows the holder to drive a motor vehicle in the Philippines, provided that they are supervised by a duly licensed driver.
The purpose of an LTO student permit is to allow first-time drivers to learn how to drive safely and responsibly before they are eligible to apply for a driver’s license. With an LTO student permit, you can practice driving with the help of an experienced driver. This will help you to develop good driving habits and to learn the rules of the road.
How to Apply for an LTO Student Permit
To apply for an LTO student permit, you must submit the following requirements to the LTO:
- Filipino citizen at least 16 years old.
- Foreign nationals at least 18 years old. Must have been in the Philippines for at least 1 month and have proof of stay for at least 6 months.
- Valid medical certificate from an LTO-accredited clinic.
- Proof of identity (e.g., birth certificate)
- Must be able to read and write in Filipino or English.
- Must have completed the 15-hour Theoretical Driving Course.
- Must not have any unsettled traffic violations.
- Payment of application fees.
Once you have met the requirements, you can apply for an LTO student permit at any LTO licensing center and you will be issued an LTO student permit.
Validity of an LTO Student Permit
An LTO student permit is valid for 1 year from the date of issuance.
The following are the steps involved in applying for an LTO student permit:
- Gather the necessary requirements.
- Visit the nearest LTO office.
- Go to the Customer Service Window and secure a Driver’s License Application Form, Checklist of Requirements, and your queue number.
- Fill out the form and prepare the required documents.
- Submit your application form, along with the necessary documents and your queue number.
- Wait for the receiving staff to finish checking your requirements and turn it over to the evaluator.
- Get your documents authenticated and your qualifications assessed.
- Proceed to the area for photo and signature-taking.
- Pay the Student Permit application fees and the other fees necessary for your application.
- Receive your student permit in the form of an official receipt (OR).